Thursday 16 September 2010

Hand embroidery linens at the Linen Cupboard


I've been to a local auction today and came across a box of lovely hand embroidered linens. This tablecloth with Madeira embroidery of Calla Lilies is superb - very long and with matching napkins. Ideal special occasion cloth - this would look fabulous on a wedding table!

This photo shows the cloth on a bed - I haven't got a table long enough to show it off well!
The same box had several other large cloths - all beautifully embroidered.
I think again that this is really a tablecloth but doesn't it look good on the bed?
And this one really is a bedspread - white lace with figural motifs.
The motifs are all of hunters
When I find linens like these I wonder about the household that they came from and how many celebration meals and family get-togethers that they have seen. They are all on sale on my eBay site from tonight - maybe they could preside over your next family occasion!

1 comment:

Gorgeous Things said...

What a fabulous auction lot, you must have been very excited when you found it. I love handworked linens, and often buy them for my shop - my problem is they don't always make it into the shop!
Gorgeous x